Sunday, August 11, 2013

Monday Made It - Reading Records, Bathroom Passes, and Organization!

The last Monday of summer.  Next Monday kicks off our school year (no students until Wednesday).  Of course, I'll be in my classroom all day today and at training for most of this week.  But, I'll pretend it's still summer.

The rapidly approaching school year has kicked my butt into productive mode though, so I've got a few Monday Made-Its to share!



First up, Bathroom Passes:


At the beginning of each month, I give each student a bathroom pass with the word "bathroom" on it.  Each letter is a pass.  When they need to go, I cross out a letter (of course, we still have the talk and expectations about when appropriate times to go are).  At the end of the month, unused letters become tickets for our raffle.  This is the system that all 4th grade has used at my school the past two years.

I like to have the name of the month on the bathroom passes.  Some of my teammates just rotate through the colored paper we have, but I could never remember which color I was on.  So I made one for each month.  I'm going to copy them all as soon as our copy machines are up and running so I am ready!


Next, Reading Records:

I gray out the days that they do not have to get their log signed (weekends, including Fridays, and days off of school).

Parent signed reading logs are expected at my school. My first year and a half, I used a half sheet of paper each week that students had to write how many minutes they read each night and have a parent sign.  I HATED collecting them each week and would often forget to make sure I had copies each Monday.  So, part way through last year, I switched to monthly logs.  It's still just minutes and parent signatures, but I only have to collect it once per month.  Most of the kids really liked the calendar aspect of it! I made the fonts match the bathroom passes and I'll copy them on the same colored paper (one of those cute, but doesn't matter things, I know).


Would you like to use these too?

Click HERE for the link to the bathroom passes and reading records.  All days are white on this reading log since I don't know your schedule :)


And last, some cute organization:

Label shape from Ladybug's Teacher Files; Font: Oh {Photo} Shoot
I used lots of Mod Podge to stick those cute papers on!
They match my turn-in boxes nicely (though I wish I had found this paper before I made those!)
I decided to do Copy, File, Laminate instead of Copy, File, Grade for a couple of reasons:

  1. It's just not realistic to think that my grading will all fit in that drawer :(
  2. I feel like I always have some small little thing that needs laminating but doesn't seem worth turning on the laminator, so I save it for later, when I have a bigger job.  BUT, then I forget or misplace that small thing.
Alright, I'm off to my classroom now to see if I can get it ready enough to show you all tomorrow for Teacher Week '13!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE your organizer! So bright and colourful!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the organizer!! Super bright and very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your organizational box. I agree with collecting the lamination until you have enough! Good idea to have a place for that!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really digging your organization box for filing, copying, and laminating. The colors are so bright!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your organizer for papers! So colorful and what a fun idea to keep things organized instead of having piles and piles like I end up with.
    Your blog is so cute!

    Laura ~ First Grade Spies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had the piles and piles and piles. I'm crossing my fingers that this helps me avoid those!
      Thanks!

      Delete